Sunday 1 November 2015

On the road to Christmas (part 1) - Fabric haul



I know, I know, it's only November, it may be a bit early to start thinking about Christmas (even though it's been on my mind since September, I'm a sucker for Christmas). However, with my dancing school's Christmas ball being only seven weeks away, I wanted to start at least thinking about what to wear. Over the past few weeks I've been collecting pictures on one of my Pinterest boards, drafting the patterns based on the pictures, and yesterday it was time to get the fabric. Read further to see what I got!
I visited probably my two favourite shops in Amsterdam, both located at the Albert Cuyp market, one with fabrics (De Boerenbonthal), the other with supplies (Jan de grote kleinvakman). Conveniently they are located opposite each other, which makes shopping even easier.

First up was finding a nice Lycra. I wanted either dark purple, dark blue or dark green, and when I saw this dark blue fabric, I was sold. The picture does not do justice to the colour, which is a very dark blue, with a slight hint of blackish. As with all Lycras it is multistretch. 
It costs €12.95/m, and with the 5 meters I needed, it cost me €64.75.

Next was finding the voile for the overskirt. At first I wanted a voile in a matching colour to the Lycra, but all the blue voiles were just not really to my taste. My dance partner (who joined me on this shopping trip) then suggested to use black, to match with the black mesh I also wanted to use for the body, and after draping a few black voiles over the blue Lycra it actually looked really nice. Unfortunately the voile I wanted initially only had 1.5 m left on the roll, but luckily I found another one with a slight shimmer to it, which I ended up loving even more. Four meters of this voile, costing €6.95/m, brought me to €27.80.

Finally, I have mentioned it before, I needed black mesh. Most of the black meshes I found were much to fishnet stocking-ish to my taste, but eventually I found one I really liked, tucked away below all the others. I only needed 1 meter of this (and that will even be too much, probably), and it cost me €7.95.

After getting all the fabric, I had to cross the market and go to the supplies store. I decided not to buy all the glittery things yet, until I was absolutely certain about the final look of the dress, so for now I only needed thread and a zipper (even though I probably won't need the zipper, as the Lycra is incredibly stretchy. I also decided to buy some needles, just to be sure, as I have a habit of smashing my needles on pins. The zipper was €3.10, the bobbins of thread (Gütermann, 500 m) were €5.50 each, and the needles cost me €2.30 per pack. 

All this brings the grand total, for now, to €119.20. I'm very excited to start on this dress, and will take you along on the road to Christmas.


-Love, Marieke

No comments:

Post a Comment