Sunday 6 September 2015

Broken fly? A quick fix that holds up!


Relatively recently, I have switched clients in my job. Before this, I of course had to do an intake interview, and in order to make a good first impression I wanted to dress nicely. However, when I took my black trousers from the cupboard I just then remembered that the last time I put them in there, the fly was broken and I had not repaired it yet. For my first interview I fixed it using two safety pins, but as this was very time consuming, i.e. when going to the restroom, I still had to fix the fly. Fixing a fly, however, is absolutely not one of those tasks that I like to do, and as I didn't have time to take my trousers to the tailor, I needed a quick fix, but one that was going to last me longer and was less time consuming than the safety pins. 
On Pinterest I came across a pin for fixing a jeans with a broken zipper from Home Sweet Homebodies and thought this was actually a really good idea. Instead of regular buttons, I decided to use bigger and strong poppers.

Follow the progress below!
Broken fly =(

Materials
-   Trousers or jeans with a broken fly. 
-   Large, strong poppers.
-   Thread, I used black thread from Gütermann
-   Needle, I used a relatively small one. 
Materials used
How to
First I started by sewing on the first half of the first popper at the top on one side of the fly. Thereafter I added the second popper at the bottom of the same side of the fly, after which I placed the third popper in between the other two.
First popper sewn on
Second popper right at the bottom
All three poppers added
I then placed the other halves of the poppers on the exact opposite side on the other side of the fly.
Opposite halves of the poppers sewn in place
And that's it! Now I can wear my trousers again. The poppers don't show on the outside and I fixed it myself, in under 15 minutes!
Fly fixed!

Closed up

I've worn it now regularly for about three weeks with about four washings, and it holds really well!



- Love, Marieke

No comments:

Post a Comment