Sunday 9 August 2015

The home made challenge

A while ago, after I threw about the umpteenth faded shirt and again sent back a piece of clothing that didn't really fit well, I realised that this had to change. So, I decided to set myself the "home made challenge"

Sewing needle eye with thread


What is it?
During the home made challenge I want to refrain myself from buying clothes, apart from underwear and socks, and make everything myself. When I was thirteen, my mother taught me to use the sewing machine, and in the course of time I have made several things. To date, these were mostly costumes or evening dresses, but I am sure I can also make 'regular' clothing for myself. After teaching myself how to crochet, 'knitted' items are also no longer a problem.

Islands fabric 03

Why?
As described before, I threw out so many (cheap) shirts because, after a few washes, they soon didn't look as they did when I bought them. Faded, distorted, completely stretched out; I've seen it all. 
I also seem to have very difficult measurements for off-the-peg clothes (fuller bustsmall waist, big bum), which is why a lot of clothing doesn't really fit me that well or simply not at all. For my waist I would need a certain size, but to also fit 'the girls' in, I would need a size or two bigger. Because of this I started making my own evening and dance dresses about five years ago so at least these would fit me right.

Of course, one cannot expect that a relatively cheap shirt will last years, it is after all cheap for a reason, and I have certainly considered to shop in more high-street stores. However, even with the more pricey items I notice that seams aren't finished well, the fabric hasn't been cut in the right way which makes the piece of clothing 'turn' in a weird way, and that you pay a lot more than the garment is actually worth. Although one shouldn't, of course, only take the price of the fabric into account, the seamstress has to paid as well after all, it striked me that the price/quality ratio was too often quite off.


So, I decided it was time that my clothing fit me well, was of better quality and that I didn't have to pay too much. In the coming months I will take you on my journey and update you about the new clothes I make.


What do you think, would you be able not to buy any clothing but make it all yourself?


-Love, Marieke 




No comments:

Post a Comment