Sunday 20 December 2015

On the road to Christmas (part 3) - Dress


Hi everyone!

Even though it isn't actually Christmas yet, On the road to Christmas is done! Yesterday was the Christmas ball and luckily my dress was done in time. Last time I wrote about my dress, I only had the bodice done, so read further how I finished my dress!
To achieve a nice transition from the dark blue bodice to the black voile skirt, I decided to have inverted triangles on the top of the skirt in between the long voile triangles. Underneath the voile I cut the same triangles from the dark blue Lycra to prevent the skirt from being see through. After sewing it all together, I wanted to attach the skirt to the bodice, but that was when I ran into a problem. Somewhere in the pattern drafting process I miscalculated, and the top of the skirt was way too big to fit nicely on the bodice. As I didn't have the fabric or time to redo my skirt, I decided to keep it as a separate skirt.

I sew some black, 3 cm wide elastic to the top of the skirt. To hide the skirt band, I got some black ribbon (5 cm wide) and attached that to the top of the front half of the skirt after which I would tie it in a knot or bow on the back. In the end, combined with the bodice, it looked very nice, and I got quite some compliments.

Even though it didn't completely turn out the way I envisioned initially, I really like how it turned out. Additional bonus: the ballroom/latin dress pattern is slowly evolving into a good end-product.


-Love, Marieke

No comments:

Post a Comment